- 2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey to feed the yeast (no sugar or carbs will remain after baking)
- ¾ cup warm water 110-115°F
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2.5 cups almond flour
- 2 cups whey protein isolate
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- Add the yeast, honey or maple syrup, and warm water to a large mixing bowl and stir well. Allow mixture to sit 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Whisk the olive oil, and cider vinegar into the yeast mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the almond flour, whey protein isolate, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sea salt. Pour this dry mixture into the mixing bowl with the wet mixture and stir vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Cover bowl with a towel and put in a warm place (next to a window in the sunshine works great). Allow dough to sit 60 to 90 minutes (mine took 60), until it has doubled in size and is full of air bubbles. NOTE: the dough will be very sticky and wet – this is normal.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly oil (or spray) a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Once the oven has finished preheating, pour the dough mixture into the loaf pan. Note: leaving the dough in the loaf pan while the oven is preheating may cause bread to sink in the middle slightly, so wait until the oven is all the way hot before transferring the dough to the oiled loaf pan.
- Bake in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until bread is firm, golden-brown, and cooked through.
- Allow bread to cool in the loaf pan for at least 30 minutes before running a knife along the edges, turning it out onto a cutting board, and slicing it with a serrated knife.