I like to use this “Oreo” Cookie Crust for this recipe. Make it ahead and chill in the refrigerator while you assemble the cheesecake filling. The cheesecake in the photo does not have the sour cream topping.
Keto New York Cheesecake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2 pounds cream cheese (full fat) bring to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cup MonkSweet
- 1/8 tsp salt or a pinch
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Sour Cream topping
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sweetener I use MonkSweet and run through the blender to turn into “powdered sugar”
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream together the cream cheese and sweetener. Mix on medium speed for a few minutes until smooth and creamy (Make sure to scrape the bowl’s sides to get all of the cream cheese that “plasters” the bowl).
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, xanthan gum, and salt to cream cheese mixture; beat on low speed until just combined.
- Next add the eggs, one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate eggs into mixture.
- Add the sour cream and mix until smooth. Do not overmix, just mix until lumps are gone.
- Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Place the cake pan in a large shallow pan containing hot water that comes halfway (about 1 inch) up the side of the springform.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cheesecake should start to turn golden brown around edges, the top will be light gold but still be wobbly in the middle.
- To Prevent Cracking – Then turn the oven off, and let the cake cool in oven with the door open for about 1 hour; this prevents cracking.
- Mix sour cream, remaining powdered sweetener and vanilla until well blended; carefully spread over cheesecake.
- Bake 10 min
- Gently take cake out of oven (Remove the cheesecake from the water bath) and cool on wire rack until room temp.
- Cover with plastic wrap then chill in refrigerator overnight (or at least 8 hours) before serving.
- Special equipment: 9- or 10-inch springform pan; 18-inch heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- Always bake the cheesecake in a water bath to keep the heat in the oven from being to dry. This will help the cake bake slowly, gently, and evenly. It also helps keep your cake smooth with no large cracks.